Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lyme Treatment Day 3: Meant to

There were multiple failures last night.  My husband, after calling from work in the afternoon, was on track to take the middle child to soccer practice.  I, dealing with the vertigo and nausea, did not go to the grocery store as planned.  Instead, I decided on spaghetti for dinner.  It is not in my Lyme Treatment diet plan, but I had all the ingredients.  I was in dreadful need of a shower, but decided to work on the blog pages for a bit instead.  When the time-to-make dinner alarm went off on my phone, (yes, I need to set a time-to-make-dinner alarm even though I am surrounded by clocks most of the time) I realized I couldn't grab my shower.  Although I had meant to, I had forgotten to defrost the hamburger for the sauce.  It would take much longer to get to the simmering-sauce, spaghetti-in-the-collandar stage.

I took the time to defrost the beef in the handy-dandy microwave, heated some olive oil and got the bright idea that I would actually use some of the garlic cloves that had been decorating my counter for quite some time.  When I bought the garlic, I thought I had a garlic press.  I had meant to, but forgotten to buy one on several repeat trips to the store.

I felt very official as I minced garlic with my knife.  I have a chopper, but I enjoyed the officially cooking feeling I had from handling the big chef knife.  I ignored the fact that I very nearly sliced my finger open several times, and I threw the garlic in the pot.  Although I had meant to, I had forgotten to turn down the burner.  The garlic immediately turned black, and a smoky, lingering mist permeated the air. 

Take two.  When I finally got to simmering pot, pasta at the ready stage, I realized it was now 5:40. Soccer Practice is at 6 pm.  I have not yet seen the husband.   I got his voice mail.  There is no cell service in spots near our house, so I assumed he was very close and called the middle child to eat her supper.  He finally called me back at 5:55.  Although he had meant to, he had forgotten to give me a call when there was an accident at work.  He had to work an hour longer than originally planned. 

My daughter had just finished a crying jag about how much her hips had hurt from the last soccer practice.  I looked at her.  I looked at the clock.  I looked at my hair and and while sitting firmly in my chair, decided there would be no soccer practice tonight.  I facebooked the coach.  I informed my daughter who then wailed that the first game is Saturday, and she's only had 2 practices.  I had meant to, but couldn't help my child succeed in life today, because I had forgotten to take a shower. 

My husband came home 45 minutes later, angry with me for being upset about it all.  But, we plopped down and ate our spaghetti.  I got the spins again worse than the afternoon.  After awhile, I decided there would be nothing else until I took a bath.  This was when my husband called out, "Your student is here!!"  I had meant to, but I had forgotten to call and cancel the French horn lesson I teach on Wednesday nights.  Although the spinning was slower, I wouldn't have been able to follow the music. 

My husband made apologies for me.  I started the water and let it all drift away.

The garlic fog in the kitchen, the steam fog of the bath, the brain fog in my head.

Survey: Do you really think you have more to be forgiven for than everyone else?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like so many of my days, i just laughed all the way through it. Love your writing!

    ReplyDelete